April 25, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites



Cookie dough tastes like childhood.  I remember being at my grandma's house in Toronto in the summer.  My sister and I would fly from Vancouver as UMs (unaccompanied minors) to visit our grandparents.  My childhood in Toronto smelled like hot pavement and bubblegum.  Like tomato sauce and laundry detergent.  I remember the feeling of coming in from outdoors and feeling the cool floor tiles on my hot feet.   When we ran out of bubbles and sidewalk chalk, when we needed a break from making up plays and jumping rope, sometimes my grandma would bake cookies with us. 

My cousins, my sister and I would drag big dining chairs from the breakfast table up to the counters to stand on, wrap big aprons over our little bodies, and wash the garden soil off our little hands.   We would measure and sift, whisk and stir, and I would always try to sneak bites of the dough. 

Although the composition of chocolate chip cookie dough is unremarkable: butter, sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips, the deliciousness actually comes from its "danger."   I was always told "don't eat the raw dough, you'll get salmonella!" And "you can't digest raw flour, you'll get a tummy ache!" Simple facts presented as dire warnings of most certain doom.   Such warnings made cookie dough utterly irresistible. 

Fast forward to adulthood, my cookie dough obsession continues.  The challenge: to create healthy cookie dough that can be eaten raw without serious illness or gastrointestinal difficulty.  These healthy cookie dough bites are fantastic - they have no egg or dairy so you can eat them without baking.  And even though the alluring danger is gone, you won't even know the difference. 

Also, instead of tablespoon-sized balls, you could shape them into logs and chop them into small chunks and serve them with ice cream or frozen banana soft-serve (its easy as it sounds - frozen banana chunks pureed in the blender).  I will try this soon and let you know how it goes.




Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
Makes 12
1/2 c spelt flour
1/2 c almond meal
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/3 c coconut oil (in solid form)
1/3 c maple syrup
2 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used coconut milk) + 1 tsp for melted chocolate
2 tsp vanilla 

In a small bowl combine spelt flour, almond meal, salt and baking soda and stir to combine.  Put coconut oil, maple syrup, non-dairy milk and vanilla in food processor and blend until smooth and well combined.  Add dry ingredients and process to combine.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Place in freezer for 10 minutes or until firm enough to roll into balls.  Roll into 12 tablespoon-sized balls.  Store in an airtight container in the fridge.




Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I can almost smell the cookies! and taste them too

    ReplyDelete