November 16, 2012

Recipe: Guilt-free Chocolate Chip Cookies

After a tough Bar Method class today and a relaxing massage, it didn't take much arm twisting by my little guy to convince me to make cookies.  I changed up the classic chocolate chip cookie recipe (thanks Amy!) that I have been making for a couple years now so that it is vegan and healthier.  (Just a side note: vegan doesn't always mean healthy! French fries are vegan! So is sugar!) My little guy and I whipped up a batch of these bad boys and I did all I could to keep him from eating spoonfuls of batter while we were shaping the cookies.  A sweet treat to end a hard week: we have been having sleep issues in our house for the past week.  Enjoy!



First, mix the butter, agave syrup and maple syrup while the flax eggs stand. Note, if you are using only maple syrup instead of agave that agave is sweeter, so use 2/3c of maple syrup instead.



In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. 



Mix together and add chocolate chips. 



Spoon into heaping tablespoon-sized cookies on parchment lined cookie sheet.



Bake for 8 minutes, then let stand for 1 minute on the cookie sheet before transferring to the cooling rack.  Enjoy with a nice glass of coconut milk!



Guilt-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes 12

1 tbsp flax meal (ground flax seed) and 3 tbsp warm water
1/2 c earth balance (vegan butter)
1/4 c agave syrup
1/4 c maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c dairy-free chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate 

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine flax meal and water in small bowl.  Let stand to thicken.  In bowl of mixer, combine butter, agave and maple syrup.  Beat at medium for 2 minutes or until well combined.  Add flax egg and vanilla and beat for another minute.  In a separate bowl, combine flours, baking soda and salt.  Add to wet ingredients in mixer and blend until well combined.  Stir in chocolate.  Spoon onto rounded tablespoon sized cookies on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes.  Remove from oven and let stand for 1 minute on cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack. Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm...now you're talking my language, girl! Everything you make sounds yummy but I immediately came over to check out this chocolate chip cookie. I've never used agave syrup before but I've been meaning to try it out. I love adding flax to baked goods to trick myself into thinking they're healthy (because of course, all my stuff is stuffed with butter & sugar). These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete